Beans at the heart of this recipe, provide a high source of B6 and folate which both are important in controlling hormone fluctuations that can lead to PMS cramps, headaches, mood swings, fatigue and muscle pains. Hallelujah! There’s something naturally we can do to help minimise the discomfort surrounding that time of the month and improve our hormone balance.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 bacon rashers, cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 King Edward Potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 400g can mixed beans, rinsed, drained
- 400g can kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Cook onion, celery, garlic, and bacon, stirring for 6-8 minutes until onion is soft and bacon is crisp.
3.Stir in the paste and cook for 1 minute.
4.Add potato, chopped tomato, stock, and sugar, season, then simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender and the sauce is slightly thickened.
5.Add beans and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until heated through.
6. Divide stew among bowls, top with parsley leaves and serve or freeze into portions.