Have you heard Aristotle’s quote; “we are what we repeatedly do, excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit?” Or if you want to be successful in a certain area of expertise to mimic those successful in that area?
So if you want to build muscle and increase your fitness what then do the fit people do? What do they eat?
Well, we’re here to tell you they love chicken, green stuff and sweet potatoes; ingredients this recipe includes.
Why? Chicken is one of the best sources of protein to build muscle, greens are extremely nutrient dense with minimal calories, and sweet potato provides energy in a slow-burning manner which controls appetite and minimises insulin resistance.
Trust us, try it before your next gym session.
- 500g chicken breast
- ¼ kent pumpkin
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 1 handful of snow peas
- 1 handful of snap peas
- ½ red capsicum
- ½ punnet cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 avocado (cut into chunks)
- ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Cajun, Moroccan or your own spices
- Handful of mint torn
1. Preheat oven to 190°C. Cut sweet potato and pumpkin into medium sized chunks. Place on baking tray and drizzle with coconut oil. Sprinkle rosemary over vegetables. Put in preheated oven.
2. Chop chicken into small pieces, place into a plastic freezer bag with a drizzle of coconut oil and spices. Massage in the bag with hands. Let sit to marinate in room temp for 15 minutes.
3. Toss spinach, cherry tomatoes, and avocado in large salad bowl.
4. Boil some water with a pinch of salt in a saucepan and lightly blanch greens.
5. Add sliced capsicum to oven with other veggies. Add more coconut oil if needed.
6. Stir fry chicken in a pan over medium heat until just cooked and still moist. When chicken is cooked place on top of salad.
7. Take pumpkin and sweet potato out of the oven when browned and cooked through and add to salad.
8. Top salad with the greens, mint and chia seeds.