If you’re looking for a meal to rocket you into your next workout, you simply can’t beat this roasted beet and rocket salad. Beets naturally contain nitrates which are beneficial for boosting energy, performance, and recovery. Some studies have shown beets to reduce race times and stress levels in elite athletes. Couple this with the fresh and crispness of the Granny Smith apple and the natural tang of the rocket and you’ve got an excellent pre or post workout meal that fuels and refuels the body’s energy stores and tastes great.
- 3 large beets (or 6 small ones) roasted in their skin
- 3 medium granny smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped small
- ¾ cup chopped raw pecans
- 3 ½ packed cups of baby rocket, lightly chopped
- ½ medium orange, juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for baking beets
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons raw honey, melted
- Himalayan sea salt (to taste)
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Drizzle a little olive oil over the beets and sprinkle each with a dash of sea salt.
- Wrap each beet individually in aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet. If using smaller beets bake for about 50 minutes. If using larger beets bake for about 90 minutes or until a fork can pierce the beet easily.
- Remove the beets from the oven and allow them to rest for about ten minutes. Unwrap each beet and drain the excess beet juice into a small bowl and set aside. Chop the beets into small bite-sized pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Fill the bottom of a medium-sized saucepan with water and place a steamer basket in it. Place over medium-high heat and bring the water to a boil. Add the chopped apples, cover, and steam for about 4-5 minutes or until the apples are soft and tender. Drain and add the steamed apples to the bowl with the beets.
- Place your chopped pecans in a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat and cook until lightly toasted, stirring frequently. Set the pecan aside.
- To make the dressing, take the reserved beet juice and add the 2 tbsp of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, raw honey, orange juice and orange zest. Add additional orange juice or vinegar if you like.
- Pour the dressing over the beet mixture and toss to coat.
- Add the rocket and toasted pecans and toss again.